- Official name: Republic of India
- Type of regime: Federal republic
- Heads of State: Mrs Droupadi Murmu (President of the Republic since 25 July 2022) and the Head of Government, Mr Narendra Modi (Prime Minister since 26 May 2014, reappointed on 30 May 2019)
- Capital city: New Delhi
- Main cities: Delhi, Bombay, Calcutta, Chennai, Bangalore.
- Spoken languages: English and Hindi. 22 constitutional languages: Assamese, Bengali, Bodo, Dogri, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Kashmiri, Konkani, Maithili, Malayalam, Manipuri, Marathi, Nepali, Oriya, Urdu, Punjabi, Sanskrit, Santali, Sindhi, Tamil and Telegu
- Currency: Indian rupee (INR) 1 euro = ± 82 INR
- Population: 1,397,515,182 people
- Literacy rate: 74.37%
- Religion(s): Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, Sikhism
(Sources: demographic data: UNFPA/UNDP; economic data: DGTPE (French Treasury and Economic Policy Directorate General), European Union)
Diversity is one of the most important characteristics of India. The subcontinent has 17 major languages and 22,000 distinct dialects. It has more than one billion people from many different ethnic origins in South Asia. Its civilisation is the birthplace of four major religions, a dozen classical dance traditions and 300 ways of cooking potatoes.